The following list contains links to the storm surge maps, the SuperMOM version (MOM of the MOMs). In this version the maximum elevation is given at each computational cell irrespective of the specific trajectory, or trajectories that created it. The storm surge maps were made using both ADCIRC+SWAN, while the Significant Wave Height (Hs) maps were made using SWAN. Data is available for each individual trajectory, but it is not in kmz format yet. The same for the Significant Wave Period, Ts.
For further details please see the study report titled “Storm_Surge_Modeling_in_Puerto_Rico_in_Support_of_Emergency_Response-V10.pdf”.
NOTE: In the name assigned to each link the following holds.
- The first 4 characters specify the hurricane category.
- The numbers 0_0, 0_5, and 1_0, specify a sea level rise (SLR) of 0.0, 0.5, and 1.0 m above present.
- The three characters “LWD” specify that this is a map showing only contours of the storm surge inland flooding, and the contour labels (and painted areas) show the flood depth (in meters) relative to the local terrain elevation.
- The string “StormSurge” specifies that this map shows contours of the storm surge elevation (both inland and over sea – in meters) relative to Mean Sea Level.
- The string “Hs” specifies that this map shows contours of the Significant Wave Height (Hs), in meters, based on the SWAN spectral wave model.
MZ Contours Map for: Category 1: Elevations 0m, 0.5m & 1.0
KMZ Contours Map for: Category 2: Elevations 0m, 0.5m & 1.0
KMZ Contours Map for: Category 3: Elevations 0m, 0.5m & 1.0
KMZ Contours Map for: Category 4: Elevations 0m, 0.5m & 1.0
KMZ Contours Map for: Category 5: Elevations 0m, 0.5m & 1.0
Aurelio Mercado-Irizarry, Professor
Physical Oceanography Lab
Physics/Geology/Marine Sciences Bldg., F-420
Call Box 9000/Dept. of Marine Sciences/UPRM/Mayaguez/P.R. 00680
787-265-5461 (office direct); 787-429-4506 (cellular)